Wednesday, January 28, 2015

This is the Music Salon's 1515th post!

I don't know how I missed it, but a couple of weeks ago I put up the 1500th post here at the Music Salon. I was planning on doing something, but obviously I got distracted--probably by something musical. I just checked and the 1500th post was this one, complaining about 2Cellos, a duo that gives crossover a bad name.

Let's see, what would be appropriate? I could tell you what is upcoming. I am working on the first of three posts on Beethoven concertos. This one is on the Third Piano Concerto and the others will be on the Fourth Piano Concerto and the Violin Concerto. Past that I haven't planned as yet. But I intend to trace important concertos right up to Esa-Pekka Salonen's 2009 Violin Concerto, which is a heck of a piece of music.

In the meantime, let's look back at the year 1500 in music (well, 1501, actually) and the first volume of Ottaviano Petrucci'Harmonice Musices Odhecaton, the first printed collection of polyphonic music. Here is a clip about a new recording of the Odhecaton:


As the book contained a number of groovy dance numbers, if it had come out recently, it might have been titled "Non-Stop Dancing 1500!" Here is one of those tunes, the anonymous La Spagna:


Now those are some serious recorders!


No comments: