Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What's Popular and What's Not

I was just looking at my stats of most-read posts over the last month:



Posts
Jan 24, 2012, 8 comments

Aug 12, 2011, 2 comments

Dec 4, 2011, 6 comments

Feb 12, 2012, 2 comments




I wonder what this tells me about what my readers like? Some posts, like the Astanova one and the Pop Sensibility one and the David Garrett one are probably read more because I put the link up on a widely-read blog like Norman Lebrecht's. Others, like Dr. Horrible, probably come up in web searches for Joss Whedon. So that leaves Handel, Ligeti, Dufay, Leonard Cohen, Bach and Machaut. Should I assume that readers want more of this kind of post? I'm a bit disappointed that my series of posts on Beethoven hasn't gotten more views. If you have an opinion to share, please feel free!

4 comments:

RG said...

Don't look over your shoulder.

The very last evening was spent [at Rosings]; and [Lady Catherine de Bourgh] again inquired minutely into the particulars of their journey, gave them directions as to the best method of packing, and was so urgent on the necessity of placing gowns in the only right way, that Maria thought herself obliged, on her return, to undo all the work of the morning, and pack her trunk afresh.

Pride & Prejudice, ch 37

Bryan Townsend said...

So if I could "unpack" your comment (heh), you are saying, just keep doing what I'm doing. Well, that should be easy!

Actually, as my readership seems to be growing steadily, that's probably a good idea.

Nathan Shirley said...

I've enjoyed your Beethoven series, some very insightful stuff there.

Perhaps if you aren't writing about something eye catching- lesser known composers, pop music, pop culture in classical music, controversial topics, etc. views will be less, in general??

Norman Lebrecht's blog certainly has a huge following in part because it's a classical music tabloid. He does have some good stuff here and there but what a lot of trash you have to wade through! It's like a magazine- some good things tucked away, but the rest is gossip and advertisements.

Personally I like reading about music, about the composers who wrote it, society at the time, its connection to the music. AND I like reading about performers- well known and lesser known (with potential), why what they play and how they play is worth hearing. But it's no good if samples aren't available. Reading about some new CD with a vague description of the performance and repertoire without even a single sample defeats the purpose.

Of course I'm not the majority.

But anyway I think you do a fine job here.

Bryan Townsend said...

Hi Nathan,

I'm just pausing briefly, looking for some time to take up late Beethoven. I'm planning on looking at the C# minor quartet and a late piano sonata.

Norman Lebrecht's blog is great for keeping up with the latest news and sometimes some interesting controversies come up.

But what I'm doing is always trying to uncover interesting things about the music itself and I'm very glad that so many are enjoying it!

Thanks for reading and for your comments!